CRIT village - first mentioned by King Carl in 1322 - lies 31 km away from Sighisoara on the Sighisoara-Brasov road on the left of the river Balta Mare. In 1663 Crit was plundered by a Moldavian prince's troops.
The church is situated on the west hill of the village. It was fortified in the 15th century and possessed five towers each with two-three stories, pyramidal roofs and shooting holes. In the 16th century a prison was built in the north side of the wall. In 1810 the old church was taken down and the construction of a new spacious one with a narrow choir began. Double belt arches supported by classic pillars separates one vault from the other. There was more renovation in 1908. The south tower collapsed in 1925 and the north one in 1955.
In 1822 a new classic style altar was made having a crucifix framed by wooden columns in central position. On both sides of the altar wooden figures of the apostles Peter and Paul are situated. The same classic features can be easily recognized in the pulpit work, organ casing and font. The present-day organ was made by Johann Thois from Râsnov in 1822. Several trunks dated 1666 and 1724 are also kept in the church. The well wheel in the church yard bears the inscription of the year 1753. The priest's house dates from 1843.
Trust work in 2008
Either major consolidation or painting and repair works were done on houses 106, 107, 111 (barn), 113, 114, 116, 118, 120, 123, 126, 127, 166, 168, 170, 173, 178, 184, 217.
Trust work in 2006 - 2007
Houses restored, repaired or painted no: 174, 102, 183, 178 and 111. The Orthodox church had roof plaster and paint repairs. The Saxon Lutheran church had masonry repairs to the roof and gate.
Trust work during 2005 - 2006
The Trust completed 10 restoration projects during this year. These were no 83, 170, 218, 192 109, 110, 230, 217, 20, 176, 185, 186
The two guest houses, next door to each other, had many visitors throughout the season. Please book on (44) 207 603 1113.
Trust work during 2004
The season started in early May and we completed 9 projects including a cluster of facades below the church as well as minor structural repairs and roof repairs in other parts of the village. We have also completed the town hall facade and the dispensary. Old patterns have been discovered again on two houses. Training has been taking place under Steve Finney on two large projects (no 43 and no 83). These houses, all but collapsed, have been shored up and ready for making habitable.
Trust work during 2003
We completed restoration and facade repairs on houses 104, 170 and 172. We have also restored our Landmark house and all its outer buildings ready for visitors. We have put in a bathroom and kitchen and furnished it with Saxon beds, dressers, carpets and paintings. We have planted a small orchard in the garden.
The Trust financed a study for submission to the World Bank of the large Saxon school which is now in a stae of total disrepair.
Trust work during 2002
- The Trust has rebuilt a wall and gateway from the ground, belonging to house no 29 of which façade was restored last year.
- Dismantled a large disused barn and transported to Viscri to replace missing barn at no. 18.
- Purchased a house for restoration training and to be model guesthouse. Roof and barn repair completed. Interior underway.
- Village bridge repaired and river banks strengthened with woven willows, using local gypsy labour
- Baskets design agreed and first batch ordered form Crit for sale in the shops in one or two project villages, which we hope to be opened with MET encouragement in 2003.
|View of the whole town |
| ||more pictures || |